Otterbox iPad 2 Defender Case - Black
|Price:||$48.99 & eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping on orders over $25. Details|
Availability: Usually ships in 24 hours
Ships from and sold by Amazon.com
119 new or used available from $44.13
Average customer review:
(435 customer reviews)
Product DescriptionThe OtterBox Defender Series offers an exclusive multi-layer design that keeps information and investments safe. No other case can withstand this degree of rough treatment. The Defender Series provides superior protection for tablets allowing complete interaction through the case
- Amazon Sales Rank: #41 in Consumer Electronics
- Color: Black
- Brand: OtterBox
- Model: APL2-IPAD2-D9-E4OTR
- Number of items: 1
- Dimensions: 1.00" h x 8.00" w x 10.50" l, 1.02 pounds
- High-quality polycarbonate shell with durable silicone skin
- Complete interaction of the iPad's functions
- Clip-on touch screen cover with fold-out stand included
- Provides added protection against bump, shock, drop and dust intrusion
- Not compatible with the optional iPad 2 dock, not waterproof
Customer ReviewsMost helpful customer reviews
189 of 201 people found the following review helpful.
By J. White
I received my iPad 2 Defender Series case today and I must state that I am very disappointed at the quality and so called "ruggedness". I have an OtterBox for my iPad (1st Gen), iPhone 4, old iPhone 3GS and every one of my family members cell phones and have never had an issue with paying the price for the superior quality and protection, this time I feel ripped off. From the flimsy 'polycarbonate' case, to the thin silicone cover this is at most an average product for a premium price. Every port cover on this is flimsy, does not seat well and creates a vulnerable point in the event of a 'mishap', not to mention that the top and bottom of the polycarbonate case is so flimsy that it feels as though it will snap off if handled wrong. Oh, and whats up with how fat this case is when the cover is on, it's thicker than my iPad 1st Gen in its Defender Series case, kind of defeats one of the selling points of the product they are attempting to protect... Up to this point I have been a huge fan, supporter, and endorser of your OtterBox and their products, this however, has really soured my opinion, especially given the wait for the release... What a let down!
101 of 109 people found the following review helpful.
By Josh Scott
So I've never actually written a review for Amazon but all the negative feedback on here made me compelled to say something. I LOVE this case, in fact I owned the previous model and I think that it is an incredible improvement over the past generation. Here's what I like about the new case over the old...
1. Otterbox managed to shave the weight down quite a bit, there are a bunch of little hexagonal slots in the silicone and that piece alone feels much lighter. The plastic alone does feel a little less stout but once it's all snapped together and the silicone is on it feels like a lightweight tank!
2. they changed the dock connector design which is incredibly appreciated! For those of us that don't own the dock, I lost that piece from the 1st generation iPad case on at least 3 occasions. I appreciate the little flap they added so that you don't have to remove the whole piece.
3. The stand is awesome! The mechanism they used on this is so much better than the first iPad defender. The last stand would never lock in to place and I would have to do a delicate balancing act or else everything would come crashing down. It's truly a stout design. Also for those people who are complaining about the 4 cuts on the shield stand so that you can see your white iPad, I'm pretty sure that it's actually for the rear camera, because when you snap the shield on the back it lines up perfectly.
4. There is a foam liner in this case where the last one had some sort of soft felt fabric material. Both are nice but I noticed when I opened my iPad 1 defender after about 3 months of consistent use there was black fuzz EVERYHWERE! The foam really gives a nice cushion to the rear of the device. This leads me to the one thing that I found negative about this case...
1. The one truly negative thing I have to say about this case is that it didn't have any sort of screen protection. Huh? Why did they have those nice foam pads in the back of the case but nothing on the front? The only reason I didn't knock a star off this review was because I already had a ZAGG on my iPad, and it didn't bother me too much.
2. The headphone plug is kinda difficult to install, unless you really work it in there it has a little bow to it.
Aside from those 2 trifles I think this is an absolutely great case! I think it's worlds better than the first generation.
125 of 137 people found the following review helpful.
What you should know about ipad2 defender case
First off I'd like to say I love otterbox products my family swears by outer box cases for all are cell phones (2: Blackberry curve's, iPod classic, iPod nano, first gen iPhone, 3GS iPhone, first gen iPad, and now iPad 2 all have defender series) I would highly recommend any of otterbox cell phone and the FIRST gen iPad cases. (Note that when it came to the iPads I only recommended the first gen. And hears why.
When you were a kid was there ever something new that came out you wanted so bad you'd do anything to get it. But you had wait for it to come out in stores or wait until Christmas and finally the day comes and you get it, but after a few minutes you relies it doesn't function exactly as it appeared in an ad you seen on TV, magazine, or internet and it really disappointed you to the point it makes mad, sad all at the same time like someone is ripping your hart out. Well that's how I felt after I put my new case on my iPad 2. It's like the designers of the new iPad 2 case were trying to come up with a completely reengineered case that incorporated new features... Why did they completely redesign it? Looking at all our other defender cases we have around the house, they all have vary similar characteristics and function. Except the defender case for ipad2 Like they all have a.....
1: holster or cover that completely covers the entire screen (NOT on the iPad 2 case. All four corners of the iPad 2 screen are exposed.)
2: the covers that go over the dock connector and headphone jack are secured in a way that they are not accidentally flipped out when you don't want them opened. (NOT so on iPad 2 case. No matter how I hold it every protective cover becomes knocked lose vary vary easily and just flops around. Not vary protective if they're constantly open are they. And somewhat difficult and vary time-consuming to get back in place properly.)
3: stand for watching videos. this is the one and only thing I like about the iPad 2 case. The way the new stand flips out is vary nice!!
More downfalls of the new iPad 2 case.....
1: the tabs that cover the camera and the home button when the cover is snapped on the front for when your transporting iPad 2 presses the home button and wakes up iPad constantly when iPad is in backpack. Running battery down. Not a big drain on battery but still, it's a flaw in the design.
2: the tabs on cover when the cover is snapped on the back stick out past the curve on the back, making it uncomfortable to hold for long periods of time.
I'd like to see otterbox take the first gen case and fit it to the iPad 2. Then put 4 holes (with plastic screen just like the rear camera on iphones) in the cover for the back camera. & just enlarge the hole in the font to reveal the front camera. & use the newly design folding stand
Sorry this review was so long I just don't want anybody else to be as disappointed in the iPad 2 case as I was.
See all 435 customer reviews...